HISTORICAL PHOTOGRAPHER PRESENTATION
For this report assignment, you will select and research a photographer and their work. Once decided, there are many books in class, which may be used for reference; however, these must stay in the room. Feel free to use them here during class or after school. You may use your computer for serious research during class time and the creation of your Google Doc and Presentation. You will work by yourself or with a partner.
Your product will be in two parts:
PART I– a handout to share with your classmates (10 copies). It is to be word-processed, in no larger than 12 point font. The introduction will explain your reason for selecting this photographer. In bullets & phrases cover at least 7 of the following:
- Full name of individual
- Date and place of birth & indicate years of life (and if still living)
- How influenced-by others in field of photography
- How influenced-by circumstances in life
- Awards, fellowships, grants, etc. (explain nature of award)
- Typical subject matter of photographs made by this artist
- What this artist is trying/ tried to communicate
- Typical style of work
- Geographic places this photographer shot
- Significant contribution(s) to photography (or the art world)
- What they themselves said/say about their work (quotes OK)
- What others have said about the work
Include 2 examples of this person’s photography, either photocopied (from a print source) or computer generated images (from an electronic source). These visual images need to include the photograph’s title, year made, must be at least 5×7 inches and of good visual quality (i.e., readable-not overly pixelated) to be displayed in our classroom.
Also, you will need to list at least 3 sources you used for research. Please do so in the following manner: (print source: title, year of copyright, author, publisher / electronic source: address [complete http], title, author, copyright year)
You will be expected to present from your handout information about the artist you select in class. You are responsible for knowing the information on each photographer, so keep track of this handout.
PART II- will be a Google Slides, Power Point, Prezy or any other software format of your choice…
Please select 10 photographs that you feel best represent the best of their work, think the GREATEST HITS! Your presentation will include a title slide with the photographers name and year of birth and death. Each slide will include
- Title of Photograph
- Year taken
You will provide the additional content via note cards or any other aid and communicate to the class why each photograph is significant and why you chose the image. This will be done for all 10 images.
- What is happening in the photograph?
- What is the setting of the photograph?
- Why was the photograph taken?
GOOD LUCK! The purpose of this presentation is to introduce yourself and your classmates to the many historical photographers in the world and recognize their contributions to the photographic arts. We are standing on the shoulder of giants my friends and we should pay homage to the men and women who have helped advance photography to higher levels.